Sunday, November 4, 2012

Easy like Sunday morning


Lazy Sunday is somehow special. No hurrying anywhere, just enjoy the day. Do whatever you feel like doing, or do nothing, if that's how you feel.

Today is one of those Sundays. The Canadian clock was switched to winter time last night, so I could waste one hour on doing nothing if I wanted, since I have 25 hours today. I got up at 8.30 am (old time), drank some amazing coconut oolong tea while doing some volunteer work related stuff. Then laundry. And it was only 11 am (new time) when I finished.

Later the day we were inspired to re-create our recent experience from (pre-Sandy) New York: Sunday champagne brunch and jazz.

During the Canadian Thanksgiving about a month ago we visited New York, and my Finnish roommate from year 2000. It was great to catch up with her, and get to know her husband. It was amazing to visit New York again, after several years. Especially because the first day we were greeted with +28c and sunshine, and it felt like a summer holiday again. Giant ads everywhere, people, yellow taxis. We walked, walked and walked.


The third day, Sunday, was rainy and cold, but we still kept walking. To a jazz club called Smoke, because a jazz brunch was waiting for us. The audience was smitten by the charismatic, engaging, beautiful singer Annette St. John, and her band. Two hours of wonderful old jazz, tasty food and champagne drinks, when it was pouring rain outside. I could not have hoped more for a Sunday in New York.


Today, in the autumny Ottawa Annette's voice on the cd sounded great, and it took us back to the atmosphere at Smoke. But I wondered if Smoke had Sunday brunches today. The post-Sandy news and pictures have shown a very different city than the one we visited a month ago. I hope Smoke is still standing, and the New Yorkers (and the neighbours) are soon having a normal life with homes, electricity and heat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment